Subreddits only have two sticky slots. With so much going on, we are putting the highlights into this one post.
Ban Watch - The Short Version
Click on the name of the state for a more detailed post and discussion specific to that state
OHIO - URGENT
- Board of Pharmacy is aggressively pursuing this and there is a public comment period ending April 30.
- They are required to "justify an adverse impact on the business community" and take input from the "affected public." You do not have to be an Ohio resident to have care and concern for your those who are. You might have family or friends there. You might one day travel to or through.
- What then? Here is State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy Guide to Rule-Making Process
- Useful Tool - Grammarly - checks grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice and style issues in your writing. Also don't be afraid to post your rough draft here for feedback before emailing it!
- Rep Scott Conklin had a press conference announcing his intention to introduce legislation banning kratom
- Nothing has been formally introduced yet so there's no bill number (because there's no official bill yet). So we do have a chance to try to convince him to change from a total Schedule 1 ban to some other form of regulation and he is potentially meeting with the AKA.
- Representatives at the state level are often very accessible and willing to listen to you. /u/Juicemoneyrecords spoke with their rep in PA who gave assurances that there would be a long way to go before something were to become law and said the best thing you can do is CONTACT YOUR REP!
- LA has already introduced a bill in the House.
- LA HB452 would add mitragynine and 7-hydroxy-mitragynine to their Schedule 1. AKA has given assurances they have a dedicated team in LA doing everything they can but we need to do our part!
Many of you are familiar with Dr. Christopher McCurdy and the great work that he is doing in kratom research. While he is the face we know, his wife, Dr. Bonnie Avery McCurdy, has played an equally valuable role in kratom research.
Her passing is a great loss for her family, friends and colleagues, as well and the entire kratom community. Please, show your support for Dr. McCurdy in this time of sorrow, as well as help support kratom research by giving to her memorial fund.
"Dr. Bonnie Avery’s contributions to the understanding of kratom simply cannot be overstated. In fact, up to and during her final weeks, Dr. Avery's dedication and commitment to kratom research were essential to furthering our knowledge about kratom. Personally and professionally, Dr. Bonnie Avery will be missed by all.
The University of Florida, where Dr. Avery conducted her research, will accept donations from those in our community who wish to celebrate Dr. Avery’s life and further the studies she was so unfailingly dedicated to."
Their research has given us much of the science we rely on in fighting these bans. They were instrumental in securing the $3.5 million NIDA grant to bolster kratom research.
Please consider making a donation to honor her life and invaluable contributions. She deserves our undying gratitude and respect.
You can donate via the link below.
The Memorial Fund for Dr. Avery goes directly to further Dr. McCurdy’s kratom research.
You can leave condolences and sign the guestbook here
Here are pub med searches for research