Tree Growing Regions
Hi, I wanted to ask what general region are you in? I assume South Florida if your trees are not dying. Thanks for all the amazing videos of this amazing plant and please keep posting them by the way!
Slightly north or south of the Mason-Dixon line is plenty hot and rainy and humid in the summer, it feels like home for the leafy ones... Obviously, more north than that is practically year round greenhouse. More south is less so: North and South Carolina are a bit swampy and have even hotter summers than here, i can only assume they would do better and better the more south you reach, til the aridity in certain parts of Mexico...? Ive heard many people leaving them outside in the hotter months at 7a/b, even 6 & 8 I spoke to one dude who has a small tree a few years old in a greenhouse in Oregon. Apparently it goes deciduous, losing its leaves and returning in the spring. Keep your roots warm i guess! These trees are remarkably resilient and adaptive. Edit: i think you meant to ask the site owner, GuyWithTrees. I heard he was in FL somewhere. There are a few others who have >3-4yr trees in AZ(MToL/W.P.) A number in Texas (which seems to have a bustling kratom scene) some in Georgia(C.S.) Louisiana, Mississippi (Ole Miss better start growing THESE trees, their cannabis stinks! :) as well as Florida(GWT here and T.T. And others reportedly.)
last edited by SubstanceTheSqid
I'm in northwest Florida zone 8a. Our Winters are more like springtime. I've got 5 trees growing outside right now
@SubstanceTheSqid just to add onto your point. The coldest regions I have sent cuttings and seed pods to Canada and Austria. These growers just had to acclimate the trees to their environment. Although they would need to make extream adaptations they were still able to grow in these regions.
@guywithtrees what kind of extreme adaptations do you mean, for example?
Indoor green houses, using space heaters indoors, seed tray warmers, watering more often. It would take more effort to grow in these conditions as it's relatively colder during a longer period of the year. But as long as the roots stay above 35 degrees the plant will survive.
@SubstanceTheSqid what do you mean by more south it's less muggy, swampy, and humid? Florida is a giant muggy swamp, we have the Everglades, a swamp so big, it's a national treasure. , north and south Carolina have no official swamps.
Lol Everglades are nothing to fuck with. I've been there before and I've never sweat so much at the same time
What i meant was that the southwest is more dry and arid, and tends to get more dry and arid as you go south and west, even though MS/AL/FL etc are prime swampy growing regions. Additionally, North Carolina has plenty of swamps, not least to mention Great Dismal Swamp which is huuuge.
@SubstanceTheSqid ah yes the southwest. Perfect fly over country lol jk.
I'm in zone 9 and sometimes it gets cold here. I live next to a nursery and sometimes when it gets real cold there running water all night long here is an image that shows how cold it gets. This is a bird of paradise flower ![alt text](https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Florida-Ice/i-pQJCwP9/1/d5a60b88/XL/paradise-XL.jpg)
last edited by guywithtrees
@roadkill Fixed your image. :) Thanks for using the tool by the way. We are revamping the menu bar to make it easier to post pictures. We have the tool working in beta and we're going to push it out very soon. Your doing the right steps but the reason your pictures aren't showing is instead of using the link to the website you should post the actual pictures url. When u see a pic of something you want to post right click and open the picture in a new tab. In the new tab that's only of the picture copy and paste that url in the Kratomwatchdog app. Replacing the image url tag. " ![alt text](image url) " I hope that helps.
Thank you I thought I had the image only link but maybe I was mistaken my mobile app for that doesn't always give me options that I want
@roadkill no problem I opened the link you posted in chrome on my phone. Right click, new tab. And copy pasta the link. Was no biggie. :)