Anybody else use this? Trace elements, and vitamin B1, to fortify and encourage root development.

Has anyone else used this "Pennington Ultragreen Plant Starter (with B1)" to encourage rapid and strong root development? It contains vitamin B1 and chelated trace elements iron, manganese, and zinc, which are essential for healthy root development in clone cuttings. A little goes a long way. I've been able to pot clones after 3 weeks with healthy root systems established. I prepare 1 ounce per gallon of water and then water the cloning rooting media (2 parts container mix: 1 part perlite), and then I squeeze out as much water as I can before using to root the cuttings. Don't forget the IBA rooting hormone dip. 

These young clones are thriving by the rosemary cuttings, which btw are only a month old themselves.

last edited by peteypyro

I really enjoy your post. They're very informative especially for someone like me that's not that experienced in horticulture. So if I understand correctly you squeeze all the water out of your rooting media before putting the cutting in and putting it into the plastic bag. I was always under the impression that they needed to be soaking wet

@roadkill not necessarily, when they're small cuttings allowing the pods to get to sopping wet will encourage root rot

@roadkill I prepare the rooting mix by soaking it well, for 2 days, then I squeeze or wring out as much water as I can force out of it. Guy with trees is correct about the rot. Too much water will bring on 100% losses from rot. The clones only need moist rooting mix.

Check this out for rotting clone cuttings: 

I only start off with 'soaking' the mix because the peat moss component of the mix will not "get damp" easily. Peat moss almost is waterproof when absolutely dry, and needs a day or two to soak for it to get damp. A bale of peat moss will float for days, like a boat, BUT once it does get damp, it will absorb water like the proverbial sponge. Amazing stuff. Hydrophobic when dry, and hydrophilic when not.

last edited by peteypyro

@peteypyro Cinnamon as rooting agent :

Cinnamon as a rooting agent is as useful as willow water or hormone rooting powder. For difficult cuttings, like kratom or olives, I mix 50%/50% IBA rooting hormone/cinnamon powder. I use true cinnamon or 'ceylonese cinnamon'.

A single application to the stem when you plant the cutting will stimulate root growth in almost every plant variety. Give your cuttings a quick start with the help of cinnamon powder. Pour a spoonful onto a paper towel and roll damp stem ends in the cinnamon. Plant the stems in fresh rootingmix. The cinnamon will encourage the stem to produce more stems, while helping to prevent the fungus that causes damping-off disease. Cinnamon fungicide control Damping off disease is a fungus-based problem that hits small seedlings and cuttings (clones) just as they begin to grow. Cinnamon will help prevent this problem by killing the fungus. It also works with other fungal problems exhibited on older plants, such as slime mold and with deterring mushrooms in planters.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Benefits Of Cinnamon On Plants: Using Cinnamon For Pests, Cuttings, & Fungicide https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/using-cinnamon-on-plants.htm

last edited by peteypyro

I'm going to try this cinnamon on this red spotted fungus problem that I have as I am desperate and there doesn't seem to be anything else that will kill fungus