As cold approaches

@roadkill expecting 35°F by morning.  Everything tropical is going into shelter. Everything that is small enough. These  kratom's are as big as I can wheel around. 7 gallon pots, about. 

Greenhouse should hold to 40~45°F with heater on low. Chicken brooder hatching heating pad beneath the cuttings to keep their roots very warm and reduce damping off problems, hopefully. Clones REALLY need warmth to grow roots and not rot. Scary night ahead. This is definitely not the time to start clones. 

Craig Strickland's kratom nursery grow had some damage there in Georgia. His most recent post on his YouTube channel is here :   

Frost is heartless sometimes. I think that his many plants will mostly make it.  Blessings. 

last edited by peteypyro

Easy and simple dont over think it just dig a 8 foot deep hole drop a flex tube pipe in add a small fan on one end and you have a poor mans geothermal heating for your greenhouse. Look for this video on YouTube I don't know how to post the link to ot on here.

these trees are planted they're not in a greenhouse

@roadkill There is always the 'bedsheets over the top' with the 60 watt lightbulb shop light below scheme..... it can protect for an extra 10°F of insulation.  I've saved citrus that way. No light bulb? Then use a big pot of hot water underneath the sheet or blanket. The pot will cool down, but not before dawn. 

Craig Strickland youtube Kratom channel frost report from his nursery in Georgia

last edited by peteypyro

the more I tend to learn about these things and more resilient they seem to really be. I think I've fallen victim to Too Much hype. I was thinking about this and guywithtrees is I believe in North Florida he's got old trees. I know it's gotten down into the teens up in that area and with large trees there's not a lot you can do to protect him but somehow they'd survived all this time.

I'd be very interested in hearing reports from the different members,  with their approximate locations (approximately only), the temperature dips experienced, and what results they had with and without protecting any kratom trees in the ground, or under shelter.

I'm between Daytona and Gainesville in northeast Florida. I've taken my 4 x 7 gallon 'trees' inside the greenhouse, with all (20) clones less than 6 months old. The baby cuttings in boxes are on heater pads (chicken brooder heaters) to keep their roots warm & growing and to reduce rot and damping off diseases. Cold and wet cuttings DON'T survive. 

I've had no leaves drop, and new growth is still apparently growing. It got down to 35°F, outside, with 5 mph winds, at 5am. It it currently, at 3pm, 60°F outside, (and a muggy 85°F  in the greenhouse). 

I truly hope all growers did as well. Craig Strickland did fairly well in Georgia's cold, so there is hope  for us further south. 

Well that's my experiences here. How about your's?

I'm more in Central Florida about 25 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico. It got down to 40 degrees last night and I covered my bumblebee although a couple of branches were sticking out an absolutely no sign of damage to them. I built a makeshift Greenhouse over the other two one-year-old kratoms I have in the yard with a floodlight under each one of them. Starting to think I didn't even need to do that for 40°.

@roadkill I believe that you're right. They seem hardier than advertised. They seem to gain a resolute determination to survive the bigger and older that they get. Like gators.

Glad that you were able to rig up a good tent and heat source. Consider it good practice for when things really get cold. Be well.       Kratom 1   Weather  0 

🎄🎄🎄GO KRATOM, GO!!!🎄🎄🎄

last edited by peteypyro