Pests!

I have a young tree growing out here in Hawaii and I need some help with pests. I currently have been brushing off scales and something has been eating my leaves. I've tried neem oil but am open to all suggestions!

@hilifeben 

Aloha from the Sunshine State of Florida.

Are those spider mites that I see??? 

I add mineral oil (baby oil) and Dawn dish detergent to my neem oil. 1:1:1 ratios, and use 1 ounce of the 1:1:1 mix per gallon of water. It really works but may take some time. It has several modes of operation. Everything from suffocating the critters with soap/bubbles, stripping off their waxy/oily coat (which keeps them protected from drying out and dying by dessication), to Neem oil's interfering with their reproductive and feeding cycles. Be patient and reapply early and often.

Your prolly getting rain 8 times a day ( I used to live there) so treatments can wash off often. Neem needs a day to dry, so choose your spray days carefully.  Be SURE to spray the undersides of the leaves, and get the stem/trunk and surface of the ground underneath, where eggs and hibernating pests can hide.

I've even just hosed off aphids with streams of water,  although Kratom leaves are rather delicate and tear easily, esp. when young. 

Diatomaceous earth is great for larger pests, like caterpillars and ants (it's like ground glass is to people). 

Ladybugs are what I like to use for sap suckers like aphids, especially in confined greenhouses and low wind areas (but not in Hawaii).

These are all organic methods for things that you might eventually ingest. 

Best success with this,  and stay in touch. Let us know what works for you.

Aloha

last edited by peteypyro