Where there are ants.... there

Where there are ants.... there are aphids!

Ants tend the aphids, moving them to where the best parts are. The ants enjoy the sticky dew that the aphids exude. That is their symbiotic relationship. Fascinating to watch therm. oh yes, the spring crop of aphids arrived. They are easily found by following the ants crawling up your kratom trees.... or by looking under deformed leaves. Time to dust with diatomaceous earth, after a dilute neem spray underside. 

Like being 'tarred and feathered, these aphids will die. The neem oil/soap base sprayed lightly on, with a dusting of diatomaceous earth to stick to that, well that will kill them. 

Neem = tar

D.E.  = the feathers. 

On the scale of a bug, the diatomaceous earth is like razor blades or broken glass. The neem damages their reproduction, destroys their appetite. Slowly exterminates them. Not super fast like chemicals, but safer for me.

I'm peteypyro and I know many toxic things in pyro (fancy fireworks) and horticultural pesticides can be reduced or eliminated in order to reduce risk to all. Sometimes. 

and sadly, this lil spider might die in the crossfire. 

last edited by peteypyro

That little spider is a crab spider. They are pretty harmless but quite fuzzy. :)

last edited by guywithtrees

@peteypyro 

Do you just sprinkle the diatomaceous earth around the base of the plant?

@pete2000 Does that work? I usually use Neem Oil when I see critters on my plants. That stuff works great.

@pete2000 said:

@peteypyro 
Do you just sprinkle the diatomaceous earth around the base of the plant?

I just dust them. Each 5 days and after rains, undersides of leaves especially.

interesting @peteypyro I have a little bottle of it but usually sprinkle it on the ground. Haven’t seen many ants or aphids recently, but I know they’re coming. 

@Chris I’ve also been using neem as needed. Ladybugs been around so not many aphids or ants yet. 

I have continued to use a mild dish soap solution for my Aphid control. So far it's worked quite well kills them instantly including the ants. Probably doesn't have the longevity that the neem oil mixture does