Really REALLY Bitter
Hey guys. So my question is about a strain I bought from a reputable vendor. I am new to kratom so wanted to test several strains from different vendors trying to find what might suit my personal needs. One strain I bought was a very popular 'yellow' and it is so insanely bitter that I can't use it. I mean, I am no pansy when it comes to enduring discomfort but This was truly unusable. I've heard some say that is because it has more alkaloids while some say that is BS-it is just junk. ( immature leaves?) Anyone?
Very interesting question….the alkaloids profile could be making it more bitter as that is what a alkaloid  does. Yellow strains are usually "fermented" which aids in the conversion from mitra to 7-oh. If it is truly fermented not just a vendor blend/mix. Will here on the forum stated in another post that the fresh raw leaf when chewed is painfully bitter and that is a sign of potent leaf. How was the effect? Was it a bitter or burning or more sour flavor that could be attributed to true leaf fermentation?
I've heard of this bitter leaf, but can't remember what they thought about it. Just remember them saying it was so, so bitter.
@'Bizaro22': > I've heard of this bitter leaf, but can't remember what they thought about it. Just remember them saying it was so, so bitter. They should name the strain ex-wife, can't remember why you got it, not soothing and soooo bitter :angel:
@'TheAegis': > Very interesting question….the alkaloids profile could be making it more bitter as that is what a alkaloid  does. Yellow strains are usually "fermented" which aids in the conversion from mitra to 7-oh. If it is truly fermented not just a vendor blend/mix. Will here on the forum stated in another post that the fresh raw leaf when chewed is painfully bitter and that is a sign of potent leaf. How was the effect? Was it a bitter or burning or more sour flavor that could be attributed to true leaf fermentation? I didn't find it to be very potent. The truth is if it was, I would've probably sucked it up and hit it again if it was. ;) It wasn't sour or burning really, just intensely bitter. I have a lot of pain and heard that yellow strain was best or at least very good for pain. Also trying to rotate strains to help with tolerance so ordered a few yellows, greens and reds since the MD gives me mild anxiety. Thanks for the reply! * * * @'TheAegis': > They should name the strain ex-wife, can't remember why you got it, not soothing and soooo bitter :angel: OR..ex husband :p
Capsules. Just sayin'.
At least my experience has been bitterness is more likely due to strain and source. Don't remember many bitter reds, and no bitter indos..whites and MD's often have a bitter quality to my taste. I've also had good and meh bitter leaf. One sample left my pallet with the worst astringent aftertaste for a whole day,lol. Lately I've been incorporating high pH water with my leaf. Wonder if it would mellow out bitter green? I do believe the ^ph helps the conversion in the gut somewhat.
@'TheTide': > At least my experience has been bitterness is more likely due to strain and source. Don't remember many bitter reds, and no bitter indos..whites and MD's often have a bitter quality to my taste. I've also had good and meh bitter leaf. One sample left my pallet with the worst astringent aftertaste for a whole day,lol. Lately I've been incorporating high pH water with my leaf. Wonder if it would mellow out bitter green? I do believe the ^ph helps the conversion in the gut somewhat. I haven't heard of high PH water? Is that from a health food store? I am interested! * * * @'Kurt Niz': > Capsules. Just sayin'. lol Seems obvious enough, right? But truthfully, I have found doing a 'shot' simply works so much better for me. The difference is really huge as far as pain relief goes. Thanks!
@Ripley: > lol Seems obvious enough, right? But truthfully, I have found doing a 'shot' simply works so much better for me. The difference is really huge as far as pain relief goes. Thanks! Have you tried dissolving in a small amount of hot water and then mixing with some other beverage, like a strongly flavored juice or coffee? I use grapefruit juice. Gets the job done without too much hassle, even on bad tasting strains.