Gabapentin?
I was prescribed Gabapentin recently for severe neuropathy and was wondering if there is any interactions with that and kratom that anyone knows of? After researching information on gabapentin, one thing I found that was concerning was some people claimed that it was difficult to withdraw from and that is something I Just don't need. I also saw info that a doctor was claiming gabapentin can calm withdrawal from opiates, and that was interesting to me since I've never heard that claim. Anyone know anything about this?
My gf is using gabapentin for chronic back pain associated with either rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis (docs aren't sure which) and I introduced her to kratom. She often uses both, with no ill effects noticed. Just one data point of course.
@'Ripley': > I was prescribed Gabapentin recently for severe neuropathy and was wondering if there is any interactions with that and kratom that anyone knows of? After researching information on gabapentin, one thing I found that was concerning was some people claimed that it was difficult to withdraw from and that is something I Just don't need. I also saw info that a doctor was claiming gabapentin can calm withdrawal from opiates, and that was interesting to me since I've never heard that claim. Anyone know anything about this? Docs have been Rx'ing Gabapentin for a number of "off-label" uses since it came out so, while I am not surprised I certainly would not recommend it **for opiate withdrawal****.** Why? Because, Gabapentin, from what I have read from others who have used it, is addicting on its own & tough to withdraw from. Please consider that I am speaking anecdotally, however, I would research it for yourself so that you use it with your eyes open. Now, before you think that I am against using it for what it was legitimately designed to do, help with neuropathy, I am not. I use it occasionally myself. I first encountered it when the docs finally x-rayed my back ( after over 5 months!) & discovered it was broken (L5 & disk literally gone). I was given Gabapentin for the terrible searing pain down my right leg caused by the nerve involvement (sciatic nerve?). This, btw, is the situation in which I first discovered kratom, story for another time. Anyhow, I was using the Gabapentin, particularly at night & it did help with the searing pains down my leg & allowed me to sleep. At this time I was already using kratom to avoid the Fent & Oxy being Rx'd at the time. Yes, I have a history with opiates; she is a fickle & volatile mistress. The important thing is that I was using kratom & I was using the Gabapentin at the same time with no, noticeably harmful effects to myself. Two years ago I had my 2nd encounter with Gabapentin when I contracted Shingles … sooo painful!!! My doc chose to Rx Gabapentin for 2 reasons; It's effectiveness to ease nerve induced pain & my desire to not use opiates. Again, I was, as I am now, using kratom daily for what would otherwise be crippling anxiety & again I had no harmful interactions & I had no decrease in the effectiveness of either the kratom or the Gabapentin. They both did what they were there to do without interfering with each other or lessening the effectiveness of each other. About a year ago, I had my 3rd experience with Gabapentin. Working in my yard I tugged, no, pulled very hard on a bush that I wanted to get OUT!!! I heard a loud "POP" & the next thing I knew was face down in the bushes in my front yard. I could hardly move without the most incredible pain radiating from my lower back out to everywhere. I managed to crawl UP the step up to my doorstep then reach up to the latch style (thank god) doorknob to open the door, crawl UP into my front foyer & continue crawling into the "Great Room". We had a landline at the time so I tugged on the cord, yanked the phone down & called 911\. I was Rx'd Gabapentin for the massive nerve involvement in tearing the ligaments between L5 & S1 ... the pain was more excruciating than any pain I have ever encountered before, even the pain when I broke my back. The Gabapentin helped & again, I was continuing to use my kratom as usual. No unusual lessening of the effectiveness of either & no noticeable interactions between them. So there you go. Please keep in mind that this is MY experience with using Gabapentin concurrently with using Leaf ... do NOT take it as more than that, ok? Also, keep in mind the anecdotal warnings & do some research on Gabapentin only so you know what you are dealing with. It works for me, as you can see but as a person with a history with opiates I do use it with extreme caution.  Any more questions please feel free to ask, ok? ETA: Added the rest of my first sentence to include, **for opiate withdrawal****. ** > "Docs have been Rx'ing Gabapentin for a number of "off-label" uses since it came out so, while I am not surprised I certainly would not recommend it f**or opiate withdrawal**"
Hi, I live with crippling arthritis and use Kratom to help ease the pain.  I also have gabapentin. I use both without any problems.  I have noticed that for me, the Kratom works better than Gabapentin. Because I work on my own vehicles, I can't use gabapentin when I need my brain.  But there is also a thread on reddit about it.  I do know that they use it for withdrawal from opiates, but I can speak from experience when on higher doses of Gabapentin, it causes withdrawal. I don't have that issue with Kratom.  But, with any medication, use with caution.  on another note, where you buy your kratom from, and how it is packaged and stored is very important too.  I only buy from one vendor, and they test and package and label correctly.
@'Kurt Niz': > My gf is using gabapentin for chronic back pain associated with either rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis (docs aren't sure which) and I introduced her to kratom. She often uses both, with no ill effects noticed. > Just one data point of course. Thank you for your input Kurt. It's just so unfortunate that I can't just Ask my doctor. Frustrating as heck.
@'itzatwist': > Docs have been Rx'ing Gabapentin for a number of "off-label" uses since it came out so, while I am not surprised I certainly would not recommend it **for opiate withdrawal****.** Why? Because, Gabapentin, from what I have read from others who have used it, is addicting on its own & tough to withdraw from. Please consider that I am speaking anecdotally, however, I would research it for yourself so that you use it with your eyes open. Now, before you think that I am against using it for what it was legitimately designed to do, help with neuropathy, I am not. I use it occasionally myself. I first encountered it when the docs finally x-rayed my back ( after over 5 months!) & discovered it was broken (L5 & disk literally gone). I was given Gabapentin for the terrible searing pain down my right leg caused by the nerve involvement (sciatic nerve?). This, btw, is the situation in which I first discovered kratom, story for another time. Anyhow, I was using the Gabapentin, particularly at night & it did help with the searing pains down my leg & allowed me to sleep. At this time I was already using kratom to avoid the Fent & Oxy being Rx'd at the time. Yes, I have a history with opiates; she is a fickle & volatile mistress. The important thing is that I was using kratom & I was using the Gabapentin at the same time with no, noticeably harmful effects to myself. > > Two years ago I had my 2nd encounter with Gabapentin when I contracted Shingles … sooo painful!!! My doc chose to Rx Gabapentin for 2 reasons; It's effectiveness to ease nerve induced pain & my desire to not use opiates. Again, I was, as I am now, using kratom daily for what would otherwise be crippling anxiety & again I had no harmful interactions & I had no decrease in the effectiveness of either the kratom or the Gabapentin. They both did what they were there to do without interfering with each other or lessening the effectiveness of each other. > > About a year ago, I had my 3rd experience with Gabapentin. Working in my yard I tugged, no, pulled very hard on a bush that I wanted to get OUT!!! I heard a loud "POP" & next thing I knew was face down in the bushes in my front yard. I could hardly move without the most incredible pain radiating from my lower back out to everywhere. I managed to crawl UP the step up to my doorstep then reach up to the latch style (thank god) doorknob to open the door, crawl UP into my front foyer & continue crawling into the "Great Room". We had a landline at the time so I tugged on the cord, yanked the phone down & called 911\. I was Rx'd Gabapentin for the massive nerve involvement in tearing the ligaments between L5 & S1 ... the pain was more excruciating than any pain I have ever encountered before, even the pain when I broke my back. The Gabapentin helped & again, I was continuing to use my kratom as usual. No unusual lessening of the effectiveness of either & no noticeable interactions between them. > > So there you go. Please keep in mind that this is MY experience with using Gabapentin concurrently with using Leaf ... do NOT take it as more than that, ok? Also, keep in mind the anecdotal warnings & do some research on Gabapentin only so you know what you are dealing with. It works for me, as you can see but as a person with a history with opiates I do use it with extreme caution.  > > Any more questions please feel free to ask, ok? Cheese and Crackers! How awful! Now for me, I was training a horse that caught me off guard. Most the time, ( not All the time) once a horse has realized he is in a partnership with you, and not about to be killed, it becomes smoother sailing..and my overconfidence played a huge part in this one accident, but I believed we were past the hysterical bucking rant from this particular equine and feeling completely relaxed when he reverted back to a state of fury, and I was tossed into a culvert that had a drop of about 10 feet and there was a rock about the size of a dinner plate at the bottom and I landed smack dab on my spine on it. I was in the hospital for quite a while and without going into a lot of detail, they sent 3 surgeons into my room insisting I needed surgery. But I declined for many reasons, mostly because I could move and feel my toes and felt I would heal just given the chance. I did. kinda. Couldn't lift a coffee cup for 6 months but was able to eventually get back to work. That was the start of my dependency. But back to Gabapentin, my larger concern is becoming dependent, having already traveled that road and didn't like the destination I  ended up at. I assumed you had to take it for a while before it begins to work because it helped Zero the 1rst few times I took it. But think it best to avoid as much as possible because I am sure I have an addictive personality.. :cry: Thanks for sharing your story and info!
@'Ripley': > Thank you for your input Kurt. It's just so unfortunate that I can't just Ask my doctor. Frustrating as heck. traditionally trained doctors don't know anything about holistic treatments,herbs,botanicals, etc. most are not even up to speed with proper diet and nutrition.  these questions would be best for a holistic or naturalpathic doctor. mine is extremely familiar with kratom.
My apologies, Rip, I did not complete the first sentence in my reply to you & it changes the whole meaning of it. In fact, it makes the whole darn post confusing. This sentence …  > "Docs have been Rx'ing Gabapentin for a number of "off-label" uses since it came out so, while I am not surprised I certainly would not recommend it." Was meant to say this … > "Docs have been Rx'ing Gabapentin for a number of "off-label" uses since it came out so, while I am not surprised I certainly would not recommend it **for opiate withdrawal.** It makes the rest of my post, _well_, make sense :rolleyes: _LoL'ing …_
IMO Gabapentin is hit or miss as far as effectiveness, and it definitely can be addictive and produce withdrawals if used regularly. Use with extreme caution or don't use at all.
@'Bizaro22': > IMO Gabapentin is hit or miss as far as effectiveness, and it definitely can be addictive and produce withdrawals if used regularly. Use with extreme caution or don't use at all. Thanks Biz and everyone who took the time to answer my question! I actually missed this last part until now because I forgot to subscribe to this thread! So I did decide to stop using it last Monday after a few days of no noticeable improvement. And glad I did. I believe my neuropathy stems from years and years of having my feet pressed hard into my stirrups to maintain balance ( the saddle kind, not the OBGYN kind :blush: and I began noticing a lot of pain and numbness in my feet a few years ago. It got so bad that I'd have to get off and walk it off when on a long trail ride, then mount again for a while, then walk again. I know my doctor has my best interest at heart but never once mentioned the possibility of dependance. And although at first kratom didn't do much for my neuropathy, it seems to be working well now. Thanks again :D