End of Summer Clones

Picked up a Super Sprouter propagation kit last month and started a new batch of clones.

Pretty much the same technique I’ve been using - Start with a healthy tip.

Strip off all the leaves except the top two and snip most of those to reduce transpiration. Then make a clean 45 degree cut below the bottom node.

Dip the stem in rooting hormone. I prefer the gel type over the powdered ones, seems to stick better.

And then carefully push the stem into the growing medium. I used peat plugs that were soaked in water that was pH’ed to around 5.5 and had a little SuperThrive added.

This year I kept them inside where the temperature stayed right around 80 degrees under the dome, and kept the light that came with the propagation kit on 24x7. Also made sure that the plugs stayed moist, but not sitting in water. Humidity mostly stayed in the 90’s.  

They started sprouting roots right at three weeks.

Over the next few weeks I’d move the ones with roots into small pots filled with perlite and Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil.

We've had torrential rain in South Florida and I lost a few to rot. Next time I’ll keep them covered until they get bigger. Probably end up with about half of what I started with.

Some of them are from my one year old West Kali seedlings (the two on the right)

And the rest are from my two year old Rifat that’s just finishing up flowering.

Now comes the hard part, figuring out what to do with them.

@pete2000 Very nice! Well done. Good technique and well displayed too. <<Guywithtrees should pin your post>> Gee, the 'kids' grow up fast, eh? 

I almost cant even give these two away, but guywithtrees might be coming back to get this pair of 2 year olds as well. He has given the Thai twins a new home too...

time to make more for the farm. lol peace...
last edited by peteypyro

Awesome stuff, love all the pictures.. These plants look fantastic

last edited by roadkill

WOW!!!!!!!! LOOK AT ALL THESE GOOD LOOKING TREES. 

@pete2000 do you mind if I add this to the growers wiki page on https://kratomleaf.us/ ? I'm trying to build out all these different grow guides. 

@guywithtrees said:

@pete2000 do you mind if I add this to the growers wiki page on https://kratomleaf.us/ ? 

Not at all, please feel free to add any of my posts to the wiki. 

@pete2000

Brilliant I setup a wordpress plugin that pulls in posts from pics, videos, and kratom bible here and auto populates on 10 other kratom sites. Long term goal is to drive traffic back here.

Great write up. I don't like to email often but i'd like to send this out. Also heads up I'm working on a simplified version of KWD for garden chat in general. Basically involves rebuilding the frontend here from scratch, but given what I've been working on for the last six months i'm expecting to move quickly, and make this place more accessible. 

I'm mainly making these changes for myself. I want a place where I can build up a gallery, and scroll through previous months, and years to get a good perspective on just how much this place has changed.  Most importantly I need a way to categorize and build up a real time inventory of what is exactly here and how much. Since I entered the very cooperate world of big tech (again) as a software engineer the more time I want to spend outside, or at least looking at pretty pics of rare plants.

last edited by will

@will here is rare...

my 2 year old Malaysian is just now blooming!.

The Thailand,  Indonesian,  and Vietnamese started blooming 4 months ago. 🙂

I was surprised!