Lisbeth Bird
I am a brand new experimenter and have only tried ONCE so far. The thread about Ripley's friend is interesting because I share some of his friend's problems. I have chronic disabling pain from arthrisis, bursitis, and tick borne infections (anaplasmosis, and probably others). I also have depression and relatively recently, anxiety. The first thing I wanted to comment is that in my case, I feel like the mood and stress are resulting from the pain, so if  could heal the pain, the anxiety and depression will resolve. Pain just takes so much energy and attention, it's impossible to be oneself; plus being limited in abilities is really depessing, and worries about this also make me really anxious. That you said your friend would never call himself depressed made me think, well maybe the pain and grief are the cause with him. That he doesn't complain about his injuries kinda fits, for an older guy who just isn't a big complainer! Just speculating. Anyway, after my first try last week, I m ready to try again, and would so welcome any advice or benefit from other's experience. Here's what happened: I was in what, for me is moderate pain, around 5/10 going to 6 or 7 if I tried to actually move. I added 1.5 g (hula  kapuas green) to my green smoothie, made from stuff like fresh spinach and frozen blueberries. It also has 1/2 tsp turmeric, which I always use, but I saw on YouTube had been identified as a kratom booster. Another thing I saw said grapefruit also increases effects, and I had one, so added some. I had an empty stomach, except for all the good stuff in my smoothie, plus I had had a big cup of coffee an hour or so earlier. I have no recent history of opioid use, and only ever used once after major surgery for any length of time, years ago.  I started feeling a buzzy uplift while still drinking the smoothie. I thought they this is ok, kinda feels like the coffee. But within an hour or so I started feeling pretty anxious, which escalated until all of a sudden I needed to  lie down, and I think I slept. I haven't tried again yet because I really did not like the trajectory from too nervous to completely exhausted. BUT my pain kinda receeded noticeably for 6 hours, returning when I got out of bed. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has seemed super sensitive since I didn't even take the beginner 2 g that many sources suggest. And I wonder if that unpleasant anxiety is common or at least not unheard of. And I wonder if a different strain will react differently. I have a red Vietnam one. Anyway I guess I 'll try the red one but only 3/4 g to start. Two notes: the smoothie actually tasted really good and did not slow the onset at all. I m going to have to wait a while to test because pain is not bad right now. I am doing other therapies including proteolytic enzymes supplements and far infrared heating pad (really effective so far, I just started this), and these are working well today. But both of these cost a lot more than kratom.
Green HK might not have been a good first choice. A red is preferred, especially for pain. And while I'm not suggesting you do more, kratom at lower quantities is generally stimulating and higher amounts are more sedating. Also, without naming your vendor, I hope you have quality Kratom as it makes a difference. Also please make sure you do not have anything that says extract or enhanced kratom, 10x or anything like that.
@'Bizaro22': > Green HK might not have been a good first choice. A red is preferred, especially for pain. And while I'm not suggesting you do more, kratom at lower quantities is generally stimulating and higher amounts are more sedating. Also, without naming your vendor, I hope you have quality Kratom as it makes a difference. Also please make sure you do not have anything that says extract or enhanced kratom, 10x or anything like that. Thanks! I'm actually having 1.3 g of red vein in another smoothie right now for my second try. I think the vendor is good but it's hard to know, which is why I wanted conservative dose at first. This time it feels good so far, and is giving definite relief even with the small dose. The pain was really bad this morning…and it's a gorgeous day I don't want to miss. I guess I m trying to see if I can get enough pain relief to function without sedation, as the whole purpose is to be able to function. I skipped the coffee this morning and I think that might be why I got so anxious last time. I'm so surprised how fast this is hitting me! Crippling hip pain is way down and I haven't finished the dose yet. My head feels a little spacy but not in a bad way. This  kratom is whole powder, not extract. Smoothie has a little turmeric and dry ginger, just a squeeze of lemon, and no grapefruit this time. Will update y'all. I really hope this works. Crippled and helpless  and constantly hurting is a horrible condition to be in. I tried various doctors, spent thousands I couldn't afford, and they were no help. The last one wouldn't even listen to my med history, but me off mid-sentence. Thanks again.
Hello Lisbeth & Welcome to the forum, Lisbeth  :welcomewave: I'm pleased to see that you have met Biz & so far I really have nothing more to add to what he has already told you. I will, however, stress the importance of avoiding what I call the three "E"; extract, enhanced & enriched or anything with 10x, 50x, etc. Stick to PL (Plain Leaf) & I promise you will be much happier, lol!