Repotting Day.  Fabric ba

Repotting Day.  Fabric bags upgrade.

prolly a lil potbound, not potbound like this Papaya though...

although this isn't REALLY potbound anymore, now is it?  😁  

Bet it won't blow over either.  Oh well...

back to the potting...  

one part perlite, 

one part coco coir, be sure to wet well first as this is hard to get wet, and if it is used dry it will suck the new plant dry. Water the coir very well first.

Coconut Coir is a completely renewable resource and a much needed alternative to bog dredged peat moss.

Coir holds up to 10 times its weight in water and does not repel water like peat moss.
Coir resists compaction and has excellent drainage and porosity.
Coir has a natural pH of 5.2 to 6.8.
Coir is naturally weed and pathogen free and resists mold and bacterial growth.
Coir aids in the rapid growth and root development of transplants.
Coir is compressed into bricks and blocks for easy storage and use.
Coir is reusable (for up to four years) and a renewable resource.

one part potted container mix,  any crappy brand will do...even miracle gro stuff. Miracle gro gets its bad name by people using it alone. 

one part raised bed 'soil'. 

Mix well, and water enough so that water drains through. The coco coir is hard to "wet", sort of like peat moss.  

Now we add the tree from it's 7 gallon pot to the 50 gallon fabric pot, with about 8 inches of mix beneath it. ..... but first, mix in 4 cups of Osmo-Cote time released fertilizer with trace elements.

Mix in well....

...<tbc>...  PART 2. Coming soon...

last edited by peteypyro

Pro tip: 

easy peasy pH tape.    15 feet.   15 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q...

A buck a foot, but 12 inches will go a long way,  Ask wifey....

She tests everything around the garden... they like 5.5 to 6~ish here.

glad you posted this. I have been wanting to know what mix you used because I'm dealing with chlorosis all the time.

@roadkill So true in central/northern Florida.  I find the pH of the water/soil here tends (or trends) towards an alkaline 7.5~8.5.  Black Kow is my go-to for chlorosis of the larger trees, and fish emulsion for potted ones.  Fish fertilizer is too pricey to use on trees.

It seems to be that the alkaline limestone substate of Florida needs acidic amendments with decayed proteins to help release nutrients in the soil and make them available to the roots. 

got some of that fertilizer you mixed into your soil to that was rather expensive

@roadkill yup, its almost 100 bucks a 50 lb bag, but has all the trace elements too, and is peletized nicely for easy use. 

dark label, but a good read. Instant and time released for months. For kratom maybe 3 months 😇

last edited by peteypyro