having trouble with cuttings f

having trouble with cuttings from kratom. Can someone more successful than I take a picture of an average cutting that you've just cut so I could get an idea of what it should look like? How big, how many leaves left, potted or peat plugs etc... I am using a rooting hormone and have had success plenty of times with other species of plant. I have a thousand watt led grow light that I could put the new cuttings Under if anyone wants to weigh in on the best way to use that for the cuttings. Thanks!!

@pharmatree. I like them smaller, 2 NODES, and a bud on top...

lots of rooting hormone on the bottom 2 inches. ... it can take a month....or more.. and keep the clear plastic bag over them while rooting. after 3 months, they begin to really grow fast, and can be slowly accommodated to brighter lights, eventually they can handle sunlight..   and one year later... you're a farmer! 7 feet in a year! Bushy too cuz I pinched every 3rd or 4th node.

these Indonesian twins, now in 50 gallon pots, were these two twigs.   They like fish emulsion fertilizer., A LOT! You will lose some to fungus/rot. I get about half to live. Cinnamon helps reduce rot. Dont over water when young. Dont under water when big. That's just my brief take.  I've forgotten a few steps. Guywithtrees knows more about it and has videos on it at " kratom the tree "(YouTube). Read the posts on here from last year. Good luck.  btw, they are hardy up through parts of south Georgia 
last edited by peteypyro

@pharmatree If you're near Daytona beach,  stop by for a complimentary cutting or three. Wanna buy a young tree, 25 gallon pots are $75

50 gallon pots are $100. This covers the materials and a lot of loving feedings.

Malaysian,  Thailand,  Indonesian,  and Vietnamese clones available. Happy growing! 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

last edited by peteypyro

@guywithtrees so do you open it to add water periodically? You wait until you see roots coming out of the pod?

@peteypyro 25 gallon pot and plant in the pot? Lol. That's a good deal. But shipping would make it much more expensive

@pharmatree nope, you shouldn't need to ass water unless the pod is not moist to the touch. If there is excess water pooling in the bag dump it out. It will create root rot. 

@pharmatree.  Well, I was hoping that you might have been in Florida,  but I should have guessed that the 1000 watts of grow lamps meant that you were growing indoors,  and not Florida. 😥 Oh well, I hoped. I still offer free cuttings to root, they can't be too expensive to USPS overnight.  Wished you were local. I may just need younger help to plant 10 acres of trees ! 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲   🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

♦️♦️maybe here .....♦️♦️            but first I'll ask this kratom bug. 😉

last edited by peteypyro

@pharmatree.      Here is a midnight kratom cloning... just for you. I might have forgotten a thing or two though.

Search out the threads from the past year. I have lots of posts on these steps, maybe too many 😁

1st, find a branch with 2 nodes (where leaves sprout out from) and clip a piece like this...    Trim leaves as so, leaving a tiny piece of the top 2 leaves.  Not too much leaf left, as you don't want a lot of evaporation or transpiration losses until it roots...  Poke a hole in your 'seed/cutting starting mix', available at any big box home improvement store... dip dampened cutting into 'rooting hormone' deeply coating the bottom 2 inches...   Make sure bottom node is buried and coated,  by pressing soil against the stem to pack it gently against stem.  No air pockets. I added the pair of tinier side shoots, just in case i get lucky and all survive....treat the same way...  hormone and cinnamon powder around the top of the 'soil'.              Now carve a stake/label.... I use cedar for its antifungal properties too.    .. and you're ready to cover with a clear plastic bag to keep in the moisture...  The starting mix should be damp, but you should not be able to squeeze any water out..damp, not wet.

I'm in 80-90% humidity here, so no tent today.  I use a lot of cinnamon powder liberally to inhibit rot and ' damping-off ' fungus.... it looks like this white fuzzy cotton like mold...

..But with lots of cinnamon powder applied at the base of the stem,  the mold stops, due to cinnamon bark's antifungal properties...

Notice how mold stops at the edge of the cinnamon...

Now the hard part.  ... observe and pull out any that begin to rot. This may take a month or so...

when they begin to sprout new foliage then they are also sprouting new roots too... they may look weak but will soon grow tough and resilient. These are now acclimated to the world by removing the plastic in stages over a week or two... they are now able to live in only 50% humidity now.  feed with fish emulsion fertilizer and watch them grow...and grow... and eat you out of house and home..... and within a year.... you will be a farmer!  

they will take off once in the ground with unlimited food and water!. With enough perlite added (1/3rd by volume), you can't overwater them!

April 1st, 2020 April, 2020,  They got planted... 6 months later, they're huge. And doubling in size every other month!. They can now enjoy the cheaper 'Black Kow' composted manure. It's cheaper than the Alaska brand $20/gallon fish emulsion fertilizer.

They may grow 100 feet in 10~20 years,  but I make sure that every 2nd or 3rd node is branching so that I get a manageable bush to pick from. The cuttings that I made from these are also getting huge....

@pharmatree

...and that's what happened.   (iirc)  🤥 

🌿Good luck pharmatree & farmers!🌿

last edited by peteypyro

@guywithtrees said:

<p>@pharmatree nope, you shouldn't need to ass water unless the pod is not moist to the touch. If there is excess water pooling in the bag dump it out. It will create root rot. </p>

I've never tried to "ass water" my kratom plants before. You mean this?? 

Well, not on my kratom....

Well. At least not knowingly....

😄

last edited by peteypyro