Kratom recipes and methods
I would love to hear from others on their methods of Kratom preparation and or recipes if that's what you want to call it. Along with how much, what strain you you prefer ..... you know neat things like that. Right now my method is rather simple. I use 6 1/2 grams of maeng da and usually soak it in a mixture of lemon juice and water for about 20 minutes and then just drink the grit.
Well... this might be a long one. First off, the sky is the limits. There are so many methods. One time i did a classic oil extraction for a pan of brownie muffin things. I left some powder in because i was worried about potency, but it worked to some degree. Two muffins was enough for effects, but they were DRY and quite crumbly. Chocolate/cacao powder is a good cover taste but the end result of my first and second experiments were too gritty. I received 1/5 positive reviews, but 3/5 said it worked. One said he took one bite and spit! It was somewhere between 2-4g or g equivalent per brownie. In the future, i would get actives in the oil and strain out the fiber grit. This method has potential but because of mitragynine’s unique properties in solution it needs some work. Others have reported kratom candies and even chocolate bars that were on sale at some gas stations. There are a few different tea methods. My favorite is **Short boil method:** boiling a small amount of water, about 1 tablespoon per tsp/2g of kratom. Put the kratom in, and stir well. Acidify with lemon or vinegar (less tasty) or citric powder to 5.5-6.5 pH. Add ice and extra water, stir and serve. **Long boil method**: put kratom and water in pot. 2-4g per cup/8oz water. Boil for 10-20 minutes with lemon, vinegar, citric. Decant or filter in cloth bag/tshirt and serve. **Neat and neutra**l: put 2g of krat per 4-8oz water. Stir well and serve. Works best with slightly acidified water. **Off the top/Turkish style:** put dose of krat in cup, pour boiling water over top. Stir and let marc/grit sink to the bottom. Sip off the top by decanting. This avoids grit consumption which can lead to digestive complaints. Useful for the elderly who may not process many grams of fiber grit per day. This is my second favorite method, but has not worked as well recently because the water where i have lived the past year or so is very basic, more than 7. Kratom absorbs properly in the stomach, but when sipping just the water off the top, only the water soluble fraction is absorbed. In basic conditions, mitragynine is not soluble. That is why acidifying is almost always recommended. Heat processes help extraction efficiency too. **Capsules**: it helps to fold a piece of paper, put down a powder pile, and scoop and press the open end of the capsule against the paper. Take a cap, fill it halfway, and push it on the other end securely. There is a little lip that catches and seats the cap. Carefully use a knife or razor to cut a small slit or two on the long end of the capsule. This helps speed digestion, lets the kratom absorb liquid, and reduces digestive complaints. I have had capsule burst in my throat because i cut them too much or cracked the capsule, and it is highly uncomfortable. Anti-Recommendations: Parachutes - wrap 0.4-0.7g in thinnest paper available. Some use Rizlas, some use a single ply of tissue paper or tissue itself. This was one of the first methods i experimented with because i found the tea foul. I quickly abandoned it because capsules are similar but more effective. Absorption with parachutes is notably faster, but without perfect technique, the paper ends up bursting in the throat or mouth. When it touches water it basically dissolves instantly. Smoking dry leaf or extract: some report it works, but always with relatively large potency losses. The lungs are not very acidic. Mitragynine probably isnt very soluble in a gas phase/high heat/neutral pH condition. Insufflating powder or extract: while powder insufflation would absolutely not work, extracts insufflation might. The problem is that it usually comes up as a resin, and would need to be broken down with a snuff powder like ash or snus. Not a very good method. I recall reading one report where a user insufflated a couple milligrams of pure synthetic mitragynine. Mild effects, but more potent in other methods. While this might look unsavoury to the public, it is worth adding to the list. People will do anything. Edible films - same as parachute method, but these are papers made from rice starch or something. Popular, useful, same issues as parachutes. Delicate! Toss n wash - Aspiration is possible and was fatal in one case of a police officer attempting TnW. Pulmonary edema. This method is popular but not advised for new users. There is a great paper named “Pharmacokinetic Properties of Mitragynine....” and it describes how mitragynine is acid soluble, but also acid labile - it prefers to dissolve in acidic conditions, 4.5-6.5, but at the lower end, begins to degrade in solution, esp when exposed to light/UV. This makes extraction a little bit tricky, as acid phases are used to defat plant based extractions, but it pulls actives too. One of the best solvents for extraction reported is methanol. People report acetone (more polar) works well. Extraction might be something like a base wash, then acidified methanol or acetone or ethanol.
last edited by SubstanceTheSqid
And on a short note..... i take 5 grams of powder im my mouth and drink it down with a bottle of water. I drink Squirt after that, for me it intensifies the effect.
As a follow up, because i recall almost choking on the fine powder first time i did this.... when i get the powder in, i push it all against the inside of my teeth with my tongue. That lets me breath through my nose if i have to. Then in goes the water, swish mix and swallow. Probably more info than you needed, but it keeps me from accidentally breathing it in and choking.
I mix various kombuchas and various powdered herbs and roots .coconut sugar and honey and my kratom ..blend and chill.. I drink shots
@Erin-Arthur YES, my home brewed Kombucha all the way! An excellent potentiator. :)
@SubstanceTheSqid wow thank you so much for writing all of that! Great job explaining it all 👍